Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday by the Bay With Ray

Fiat Ulysse Baujahr 1994Image via Wikipedia



I was putting on my one good suit. I had shined my shoes the night before. Mug, my wife, was helping me with my tie. For some reason, I’ve always had a hard time with that darned thing.

Mug’s not my wife’s name. But, I’ve called her that forever because…Well, I guess that’s our little secret, eh? Tying the knot with her delft fingers, Mug looked up at me with the same look in her eyes she had the day of our wedding.

“Ray…You’re a lucky guy,” I thought.

“There,” she said pushing up the tie knot… (Perfect of course.) “We’d better hurry now. Don’t want to be late again.”

The children were already in the minivan outside. I could hear them singing a song we heard on the radio. They were laughing in a parody of the recording. “Kids,” Mug said scolding; that tone in her voice.

I took a last swig of coffee from my favorite cup and headed out to the van. Mug was already walking down the driveway. I stopped and turned quickly back. Mug looked puzzled and maybe just a little annoyed.

“I forgot my Bible honey,” I told her. Going back inside the house that was a little too expensive for us. We chose it for the kids. So they could have access to all the good schools in the district.

I ran down the driveway and got into the in the van. The children, Raymond Junior and his little sister Candy - Candice really, were squabbling. “Kids,” I said. “You don’t want to ruin our day do you?”

Mug smiled and softly elbowed me on my shoulder. “Silly,” she said. “It’s not our day. Ray…it’s His.”

She was right of course. And a few minutes later, arm-in-arm, as one- big-family, we walked solemnly into the House of the Lord to hear His Good News!


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment